Saturday, November 3, 2007

My beloved "runt"


When I moved into my house on January 30, 1998, I discovered a little palm tree growing between my metal storage shed and the fence in front. Its top barely peeked over the top of the fence.

It had never been trimmed, and the area around it was totally overgrown with weeds and grass.

I used almost an entire container of RoundUp to kill all the vegetation around the shed and tree, and the next time the gardeners came, I had them trim the tree.

It wasn’t long before the tree I had named my “runt” changed from an ugly duckling into a prince. It has grown at least two feet per year, and is a runt no longer…but a gorgeous palm tree that stands majestically over the fence that once hid it from view.
Click on the picture to enlarge it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't recognize this "celebrity".

Pat K.